Friday, April 2, 2010

True Beauty: Confidence

A few weeks ago, I began a study on True Beauty. I've been having a blast with this latest exploration. I hope you enjoy reading my posts.

Previously, I mentioned 5 areas of True Beauty. Today, I will address the first area: Confidence
(Disclaimer:While I did peek at the dictionary a few times, what I share in this post is my heart and my interpretation of my friend's answers.)

Confidence Defined:
  • A deeply spiritual understanding of who we are as created by God. For my friends and myself, knowing who we are in Jesus Christ and being certain of the purpose He has for our lives, is our greatest source of confidence. Assurance of purpose is the antidote to self-doubt.
  • An unconcern for the approval of others.When you know that you are doing what you are supposed to be doing, what others think about it really doesn't matter. Confident people are not thrown off course by criticism.
  • Self confidence goes beyond simply thinking positively about ourselves; it is accepting ourselves in spite of our shortcomings and flaws. It is looking at ourselves through the eyes of our Creator.
How does confidence make one beautiful?
When we are sure about who we are and we accept ourselves, we radiate joy. Every other area of our lives is infused with sincerity and peace when we feel free to be ourselves.

Tips for building self confidence in the young people around you:
  1. Speak sincere words of affirmation at every opportunity.
  2. Encourage them to pursue their talents with passion and to try new things.
  3. When they feel discouraged, remind them of something they are good at.
  4. Tell them that they matter to you and that their lives have a purpose.
  5. Be transparent about your own successes and failures.
  6. Separate their value from their performance.
  7. Give them room for independence and refrain from criticism.
Pitfalls to avoid:
Arrogance - when self-confidence turns into a belief that we are somehow better than others OR when we must make others feel inferior in order to feel that we are great.
Addiction to Praise - when we are unable to perform without constant affirmation OR when we perform simply to gain the affirmation of others.

Please share other tips on how you build up your children's self-esteem.

*TuTuLu*

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading this, I will definitely be using your tips for young people in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete