Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Observant Child

Sometimes, it really bothers me that my son acts different outside of the home than he does when it's just us.

At the store, he smiles and greets every stranger we meet, but when I take him on play dates, he often acts serious and reserved.

I smile sheepishly and make up some excuse for why he's currently in a funky mood (nap time, woke up late, hungry, tired, etc...)

Most recently, I noticed at church he would simply look around. He wouldn't sing or dance like he does at home. He just watched.

I began to get concerned. Was I doing something wrong as a mommy? Was I not teaching him enough about worship? Is he too easily distracted?

Later in the week, I noticed that whenever I turned on music, immediately he would say "wanna worship?" and run, jump, dance, lift his hands, clap, and sing at the top of his lungs.

I was starting to get annoyed, then I GOT it!

How often do adults perfect the art of looking good on the outside. We are proficient at acting the right way when others are watching. In reality, what matters most is what we do when no one is watching.

My little guy is getting this. Like his daddy, he studies things and takes them in. He learns by observing and isn't concerned about pleasing an audience.

If you have a child who is an observer, give them the freedom to absorb their surroundings without putting pressure on them to perform. You'll be amazed at how much they're learning!

Instead of trying to change them, perhaps we should be more like them.

*TuTuLu*



2 comments:

  1. I like what you have to say here. Reminds me of my childhood. I was definitely the observant child. I'm still very much the same now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking time to read my post. I really appreciate your feedback. I'm learning to respect and to love that quality in my son. He observes and internalizes everything. As a result, he's one of the smartest little guys I know.

    ReplyDelete