I love our Earth! It is the treasure that God has given us and we should be responsible stewards of it.
In honor of Earth Day, here are some energy saving tips I collected from my friends. These tips come from real families who have implemented them and seen clear results in their electric bills.
Tips for saving energy and conserving the Earth:
- Run the dishwasher instead of hand-washing dishes.
- Keep the garage door open until everyone gets home.
- Turn down the temperature of the water heater (safer for the kids too)
- Cook with toaster oven instead of the big oven.
- Keep the blinds closed to reduce incoming heat from the sun or use black out panels.
- Turn off the water heater when out of the house for a few days.
- Keep the A/C on 78 and use fans to increase air circulation.
- Update appliances to energy efficient ones.
- Run the washer on cold water.
- Wash larger loads. Only run the washer for a full load.
- Switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs.
- Shower with the kids instead of bathing them.
- Unplug appliances when not in use.
- Keep the family together. Watch one TV together. Read and do homework in the same room instead of having the TV and lights on in several rooms at once.
- REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE!!!! Look online for ideas on how to reuse items or donate items which you no longer need but are still good to local organizations.
I hope you see a tip that your family already uses. If not, try one! Today is the perfect day to establish green habits in your home. You will save money and feel good about leaving a better planet to your kids.